Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My internship

A significant part of the LGO experience is a six month long internship at one of the partner companies.  My internship started two weeks ago at the Allston Landing Facility working for Genzyme.  I am working for an LGO alum in the Lean Transformation department at a biotechnology plant. 

The facility I’m working in produces two critical drugs for Genzyme that account for a large portion of the company’s revenue.  In the past few years the plant has struggled with FDA compliance issues, contamination problems, and missed orders.  In addition to those challenges there is a billionaire investor looking to shake up the board of directors and oust the sitting CEO who has been at the helm since 1985. 

With that much going on I’m sure it will be an interesting six months.  I’ve been spending my first days at Allston meeting people and learning the process.  I hope to have a thesis project scoped out by the end of my first month.