Sunday, February 21, 2010

A day in the life – spring semester

Along the same line as my post back in July, here’s a running diary of my Friday February 19, 2010:

8:00AM – Wake up after multiple snooze button presses and get ready for the day.  Kerin was up before for work early today so she took care of walking Charlie Murphy.

8:40AM – Walk about 300 yards to the subway station where I catch the train to campus.  I live at the Davis Square stop and MIT is at the Kendall stop.  I can get from my front door to a class in about 20 minutes when the trains are running on time.

9:00AM – Get to the LGO office about an hour before my first class for the day so I have a chance to talk to a few people and restock the LGO store.  The store is a student run alternative to the vending machines around school.  A group of us volunteers every semester to make costco runs to buy snacks, sodas, and other items in bulk.  We then sell them at a small margin and use the proceeds at the end of the year to party.

10:00AM – Friday’s are recitation days for some of my classes.  The system dynamics session today covers some of the topics on the homework that will be due next week.

11:30AM – I grab lunch from the Sloan cafeteria and eat in the LGO office with other people.

12:00PM – I meet with my tiger teams group and an academic advisor.  We’re working with a company called EnerNOC this semester to evaluate and offer improvement ideas for their supply chain.

1:00PM – Marketing Strategy class.  This is my only “official” class that meets on a Friday and it’s only a half semester class so I can deal with it.  Today’s class is a case discussion examining the business strategy differences between Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.

2:30PM – Meet with my tiger team again to visit EnerNOC at their corporate offices in downtown Boston.

3:00PM – We arrive at EnerNOC and spend the next hour and a half learning about their current supply chain and asking numerous questions to help us understand what we should spend the semester working on.

4:30PM – I meet up with Kerin downtown because EnerNOC is a few blocks from her office.  We ride the train back to Davis Square.

5:15PM Davis Square is a great little neighborhood with lots of shops, restaurants, and bars.  We grab a couple of sandwiches at a deli right near the subway station on our walk back to our apartment.

6:15PM – We take the subway to Harvard Square to meet a bunch of other people for a Harvard vs. Cornell hockey game.  There are a couple of Cornell alums in LGO and they wanted to watch the Big Red beat up on Harvard.  Cornell won 3-0 and it wasn’t even that close.

9:00PM – A group of us go back to Davis Square for BBQ at Red Bones.

10:30PM – We walk over to Spirit Bar a few blocks away to hang out and watch some of the Olympics.  Women’s curling was on and everyone in the bar was getting into the match.  I guess beer makes any sporting event more exciting.

1:00AM – We walk home from the bar after a long but fun day.