Sunday, November 15, 2009

The application process

Some (or many) of you are reading this looking for advice on applying to the LGO program.  At this time last year I was checking the 2010 and 2009 blogs for the same reason.  Here are some thoughts that will hopefully help:

  • Have a plan - Read the website and make sure you create a timeline that allows you to get everything (essays, recommendations, cover letter, resume, GMAT or GRE test) done in time for the December 12th deadline.
  • Get some help – I relied on friends and family to review my essays and resume to make sure my ideas were clear and concise.  I think I rewrote one of my essays at least six times, but the final draft was much better than what I started with.  It helped to have people with no experience in the type of work I did look at my materials so I didn’t get too technical or specific.
  • Play to your strengths – Make sure you understand why you think you’re a good fit for the LGO program and state it in your application materials.  I knew I wasn’t as strong academically as some others who would be applying last year but I felt I had a lot of relevant leadership experience.  I was candid about both points in my application essays and my interview.
  • Get as much information as you can – There are a lot of places to get your questions answered.  Feel free to email me, or any of the other student bloggers.  There is still time to visit campus before the application deadline to visit a class, meet faculty, hang out with students and check out Boston.

Above all else don’t stress out about the process and best of luck if you decide to apply.