Monday, July 13, 2009

The introduction

To get us started, my first post will be answers to questions I think you’re likely to ask.

You: Why should I read this?

Me: You probably shouldn’t unless you fit a pretty specific profile. If you want to learn more about the Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) program from someone who’s currently enrolled, that’s a good start. If you think my particular perspective is relevant to your background, foreground, or middle ground, that’s good too. If you don’t know enough about me or the LGO program to answer those questions, then at least read the rest of this post.

You: What is the Leaders for Global Operations Program?

Me: If you somehow found this blog without knowing the answer to that question I recommend you check this page out for way more detail than I’m willing to type. If you prefer the short version it’s a partnership between industry and academia involving a number of companies and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Students who graduate from the two year program earn a Masters Degree in the engineering discipline of their choice, an MBA from the Sloan School of Management, and complete a six month internship with one of the partner companies.

You: Who are you and why are you writing this?

Me: I’m writing this blog because when I was deciding whether or not to apply to LGO the information in the student blogs was the best resource to help me make up my mind. Now that I’m in the program I would like to assist others in the same way. I also hope this blog becomes something to help me reflect on and remember my time in grad school for purely selfish reasons.

Now the who am I part. On the personal side I’m 29 years old. I’ve been married for almost five years to my wonderful wife Kerin who has been incredibly supportive and sacrificed a great deal so I could have the opportunity to join LGO. I have an older sister, a younger brother, and my parents live in Albuquerque, NM. I also have a dog named Charlie Murphy.

DSCF7410

I grew up in Central New York near Syracuse, then moved to Rochester for college and have since lived in Vermont, Ohio, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, California, and now Cambridge, Massachusetts. I enjoy traveling, hiking, photography, sports, and lots of other things in small doses.

I went to college the first time at the Rochester Institute of Technology (I have a thing for institutes of technology) and got a BS and an MS in Industrial and Systems Engineering. While in school I interned for five different companies in a variety of industries including automotive, semi-conductors, electronics, and industrial products. After college I worked for General Mills for six years in the Yoplait Division in jobs like Team Leader (shift supervisor), Startup Manager, and Program Manager.

You: Why did you choose LGO?

Me: That’s a long answer for another post, but for now I think it’s important to know that I spent about three years making up my mind before deciding to apply, and six weeks in I couldn’t be happier.

I’ll do my best to keep this blog useful and current. I plan on posting information and details that don’t show up in the brochures but are important parts of the LGO experience. I also take feedback well so email me if you have suggestions or specific questions I can help with.